Sunday, February 5, 2012

Measuring Time



Scoliosis Sanity, oil and collage on canvas, 2004, private collection

At age 11 I was diagnosed with scoliosis and put in a body brace that I wore for 23 hours a day for nearly four years. The doctor told me if I didn't wear the brace I'd be dead by age 21. Thus began my obsession with 'time', understanding the importance to live life in the present moment and not take anyone or anything for granted. A lot to take for a pre-teen. The clock began to tick. The brace eventually came off, 21 came and went and my spine remained the same. Now in my 30's I still experience health situations relating to my spine... things like the compression of my organs. And when you're trying to breathe, you know, that's kinda important.

You know what though? I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've represented time in my work in the past by painting clocks and rulers. I'm now expanding my thoughts on 'time' which you will see in my future work.