Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Roundabout Wings


Sapere Aude, oil on board, 2012

My paintings solidify in the most peculiar of ways. One idea leads to another and the result is often something I didn't expect or perhaps sort of expected, yet manifested in a roundabout way. Such is the case with the wings of 'Sapere Aude'.

Initially I thought she would have four arms, like Kali. However I wasn't sure there was ample space for so much information. Butterfly wings kept popping up in my mind and I kept setting it aside. It didn't seem to quite fit. I pondered for what seemed like an eternity but was probably really 15 minutes. Pandora was playing on my computer and a Deftones song came on. (Ideas tend to come to me easily when I listen to the Deftones. I don't know what it is. It's been happening for years.) Wondering what album the song was on I turned and saw the image of their album, Diamond Eyes. There staring at me was a white owl with wings open. My answer. She will get owl wings. I've been painting owls lately so this fits in perfectly.

Always be open for answers. You never know how they'll be delivered.

Visit the Deftones: Deftones website